Benefits of CGIA Membership:
- Participation in the shaping of GIS Industry Standards, Best Practices and Legislation affecting California and the nation
- Website & Monthly e-Newsletter
- Grant Project Partnerships & Collaboration
- Statewide Job Board
- Social Events & Networking Opportunities
- Education/ Information Sharing at Workshops, Conferences & Forums
- Online Learning Resources & Training Opportunities
- Awards Program
- Statewide Events Calendar
- Sustaining and Nonprofit/ Education members may post GIS industry jobs online
- Facilitating Coordination, Collaboration &
- Advocacy for California’s GIS Community
- CGIA represents the geographic distribution and cross-section of California including: city, county, regional, state and federal governments, public utilities, education groups, private business, professional societies and non-profits.
- CGIA works as the "leader of the leaders" in partnership with other organizations to create a unified voice on policy and legislation.
- CGIA facilitates the development of education session topics to “ensure the accuracy and quality of geographic information to support resolving important, relevant public policy issues.”
- CGIA provides a statewide forum to support California’s engagement with local governments.
- CGIA membership offers opportunities to work with other organizations and businesses.
- CGIA promotes the use of consistent standards for ensuring the accuracy and quality of geographic information.
- CGIA promotes the development and sharing of data.
- CGIA promotes the development of industry “best practices.”
- CGIA membership provides the financial foundation to apply for, accept and implement grants.
- CGIA, in concert with the National States Geographic Information Council (NSGIC), works to promote National Geospatial Initiatives.
- CGIA promotes increased public awareness of the use of GIS in everyday life.
- CGIA works towards the implementation of strategic initiatives designed to encourage greater use of GIS for improving public service delivery.
- CGIA advocates for the geospatial community on policy and legislative matters concerning the development of California Spatial Data Infrastructure for promoting the public interest.
- CGIA champions GIS to the executive and legislative branches of state, regional, county and local government.