Based on the Adopted CGIA By-Laws, CGIA's mission is to promote the effective use of GIS by pursuing the following goals:
- Encouraging appropriate, coordinated, and cost-effective use, acquisition, exchange, and management of geographic information in the state of California
- Promoting the use of consistent standards, procedures, and mechanisms for ensuring the accuracy and quality of geographic information used and created by public and private entities in California
- Supporting and promoting the practice of GIS
- Monitoring developments in the field of GIS and informing the membership of same
- Serving as a resource for its membership
- Providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and information
This mission is implemented each year by the completion of tasks related to specific strategic initiatives, objectives, and action plans. The Board adopts initiatives with input and feedback from CGIA members. CGIA produces an annual report that summarizes key accomplishments for fiscal year (July to June), prepared in June of each year and posted on the CGIA web site.